qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] COLO hybrid mode and other changes

From: Hailiang Zhang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] COLO hybrid mode and other changes
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 11:04:18 +0800

Nice work :)

On 2016/1/22 3:08, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
Hi,
   I've got a world with a few COLO changes in that you might
like to look at; they're all experimental, but it seems
to be working for me.

   The world is at:
     https://github.com/orbitfp7/qemu/commits/orbit-wp4-colo-jan16

It's based off:
     The December/2.4 colo framework world with periodic checkpoints
     + The december user space colo-proxy
     + The integration code that was in the colo-proxy git repo
     (those needed some updates to go into the 2.4-periodic world)

And then I've added:
    - An updated version of my hybrid mode code that switches between
      COLO and periodic checkpoints depending on the frequency of
      miscompares
    - A minimum checkpoint time, so that on fast miscompares
      we do get some runtime (as in the earlier colo series)
    - I'm using a condition-variable to flag the miscompares from
      the colo-proxy to the colo thread; this seems cleaner and it
      avoids having to do short waits;  it might be a bit tricky
      to make portable.
    - Add back some statistcs in 'info migrate'
    - An HMP command equivalent to x-blockdev-change.
    - RDMA transport for COLO

I don't intend to post any of these changes in full to the list
until your main COLO code is in; although if any of my changes
are useful to you, then feel free to include them in sets you post.

Thanks for your effort. I will look at them later.

Hailiang

Dave

.