qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated ...)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:56:15 -0700

On Tue, 2016-01-26 at 22:39 +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

I only thought of it when replying to the last email and have been doing
some research, but we already do quite a bit of synchronization through
file descriptors.  The kvm-vfio pseudo device uses a group file
descriptor to ensure a user has access to a group, allowing some degree
of interaction between modules.  Eventfds and irqfds already make use of
f_ops on file descriptors to poke data.  So, if KVM had information that
an MMIO region was backed by a file descriptor for which it already has
a reference via fdget() (and verified access rights and whatnot), then
it ought to be a simple matter to get to f_ops->read/write knowing the
base offset of that MMIO region.  Perhaps it could even simply use
__vfs_read/write().  Then we've got a proper reference to the file
descriptor for ownership purposes and we've transparently jumped across
modules without any implicit knowledge of the other end.  Could it work?
Thanks,

Alex