qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with discriminated unions with enum prefixes

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with discriminated unions with enum prefixes
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:45:27 -0700

> In my LUKS encryption series, I have a discriminated union for
> storing options for different encryption formats. See qapi/crypto.json
> in this file:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-02/msg03187.html
>
> You'll notice I have the 'prefix' line for the enum commented out. When
> I uncomment this, I discovered that the discriminated union visitor does
> not deal with prefixes.
>

> Apply that and then try to build and it'll fail with:
>
> qapi-visit.c: In function ‘visit_type_QDemo’:
> qapi-visit.c:7596:10: error: ‘Q_DEMO_TYPE_FOO’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>      case Q_DEMO_TYPE_FOO:
>           ^
> qapi-visit.c:7596:10: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> for each function it appears in
> qapi-visit.c:7599:10: error: ‘Q_DEMO_TYPE_BAR’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>      case Q_DEMO_TYPE_BAR:
>           ^
>
> The issue is that we used the 'QDEMO_TYPE' custom prefix for generating the
> enum, but we didn't use the prefix in the union visitor.

Should be a quick fix, if we want to keep prefixes.  I'll go ahead and
post it, at least for discussion purposes.

> I know we had had previous discussions with Markus strongly wanting to kill
> off the support for enum prefixes. So before I waste time trying to fix
> this union visitor code to handle prefixes, I figure we should decide if
> we actually want to fix it, or go with Markus' plan to kill custom prefixes
> on enums.

I'm still on the fence which way to go; we've definitely improved the
code base so that inadvertent collisions due to odd heuristics are less
likely to occur, but every special case we have to carry (custom prefix
being one of them) results in more code to maintain and test.