qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Migrating decrementer

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Migrating decrementer
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:19:17 +1100

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 01:31:05PM +0100, Juan Quintela wrote:
> David Gibson <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I'm not sure I understand this, since if the guest is paused either
> >> deliberately or incidentally during migration then isn't the timebase
> >> also frozen? Or is it external to the CPU?
> >
> > I don't really understand the question.  Migration has no equivalent
> > in real hardware, so there's no "real" behaviour to mimic.  If we
> > freeze the TB during migration, then the guest's clock will get out of
> > sync with wall clock time, and in a production environment that's
> > really bad.  So no, we absolutely must not freeze the TB during
> > migration.
> >
> > When the guest has been explicitly paused, there's a case to be made
> > either way.
>
> If this is the case, can't we just change the device to just read the
> clock from the host at device insntantiation and call it a day?

That's not quite enough, because although the timebase advances in
real time, it will have an offset from realtime that varies boot to
boot.

> (* Notice that I haven't seen the previous discussion *)
>
> On migration, having a post-load function that just loads the right
> value for that device should work.  Or if we want to make it work for
> pause/cont, we should have a notifier to be run each time "cont" is
> issued, and put a callback there?

Right.  This is basically what we already do on pseries: in pre_save
we store both the timebase value and the current real time.  In
post_load we again check the real time, look at the difference from
the value in the migration stream and advance the TB to match.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson