qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Cortex-A7 CPU definition

From: Deepak kumar Raju
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Cortex-A7 CPU definition
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:18:03 +0530

Hi Peter,
We have GIC & generic timer enabled on Linux kernel side. Need help from you how to enable GIC & generic timer on QEMU side.
Can you please help. Thanks,

Best Regads,
-Deepak

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Deepak kumar Raju <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Peter,

We are emulating the A7 hardware board in QEMU. Currently I have started with A15 CPU config. I need to enable GIC and generic timer. Can you please point me to how GIC & generic timer should be enabled considering vexpress.c emulation board?.
Thanks in advance for the help,

Best Regards,
-Deepak

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10 February 2016 at 05:25, Deepak kumar Raju
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Regarding the questions, we have hw board which has Cortex-A7, so we thought
> we have to go with A7 emulation. we were not very sure A15 emulation will be
> almost equivalent to A7 emulation.
> All we want to do is A7 emulation but now I am understanding that A15
> emulation should similar to A7 emulation. please correct me.

If you want to emulate the whole hardware board in QEMU,
then adding the A7 CPU emulation is the right thing (and
not very hard compared to doing the whole hardware model).
If you don't care about emulating the hardware because you're
going to run (say) a Linux kernel on one of QEMU's existing
models and you mostly care about userspace, then using the
A15 will be fine -- the two CPUs are basically identical
for that purpose, and Linux supports both.

If you're running QEMU to use KVM on the ARM hardware,
then you want "-cpu host", which means "use the best CPU
type that the kernel can provide" and works on A7 and A15
hosts.

thanks
-- PMM