qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC kernel 0/2]A PV solution for KVM live migration op

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC kernel 0/2]A PV solution for KVM live migration optimization
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:00:00 +0530

On (Thu) 10 Mar 2016 [12:31:32], Jitendra Kolhe wrote:

> >> We were also tying to address similar problem, without actually needing to
> >> modify
> >> the guest driver. Please find patch details under mail with subject.
> >> migration: skip sending ram pages released by virtio-balloon driver
> >
> > The scope of this patch series seems to be wider: don't send free
> > pages to a dest at all, vs. don't send pages that are ballooned out.
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your response. The scope of this patch series doesn’t seem to take
> care
> of ballooned out pages. To balloon out a guest ram page the guest balloon
> driver does
> a alloc_page() and then return the guest pfn to Qemu, so ballooned out pages
> will not
> be seen as free ram pages by the guest.
> Thus we will still end up scanning (for zero page) for ballooned out pages
> during
> migration. It would be ideal if we could have both solutions.

Yes, of course it would be nice to have both solutions.  My response was to the
line:

which sounded misleading to me for a couple of reasons: 1, as you
describe, pages being considered by this patchset and yours are
different; and 2, as I mentioned in the other mail, this patchset
doesn't really depend on the balloon, and I believe it should not.

                Amit