qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi-threaded TCG Projects [GSoC 2016]

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi-threaded TCG Projects [GSoC 2016]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:40:27 +0000

Subhashish Pradhan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello again!
>
> I skimmed a bit through the recommended reading list; I would scan them
> this weekend. I would also like to hack on and understand the code. Are
> there any small tasks or bug reports that I can start with?
>
> I presume I would have to work with these[1] source repositories not the
> main qemu git repository, right?

That's right, the MTTCG work is ongoing and will likely still be so over
the period of the GSoC work.

> I haven't worked with ARM before, but I have knowledge abut computer
> architectures and microprocessors thanks to the university courses last
> semester. Should I learn ARM ISA and stuff from the relevant documents? Do
> I also need a board or can it be emulated on QEMU?

It would certainly be helpful to have a reasonable idea of ARM and sign
up for access to ARMs document library so you can get the architecture
specs. However the work is more general as we want to support MTTCG for
all QEMU's architectures, ARM is only the first one the prototypes have
been tested with.

> Plus there are a five projects in MTTCG - which one is essential/basic in
> nature and needs to be done?
> Global TCG State, Shared Cache, Dirty Tracking, Memory Consistency,
> Instruction Atomicity.

The suggested GSoC project is modelling memory consistency (barriers) so
we can run MTTCG on non-x86 backends. Probably the simplest way to get
access to such a system is through CloudLab.

> Cheers,
> Subhashish Pradhan
>
> 1 - http://qemu-project.org/Features/tcg-multithread#Current_Code
>
> P.S. - I didn't get the time(GMT) when you usually hang out on the
> IRC.

I should be around on the #qemu-gsoc channel for the rest of the day.

--
Alex Bennée