qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi-threaded TCG Projects [GSoC 2016]

From: Subhashish Pradhan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi-threaded TCG Projects [GSoC 2016]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 12:00:24 +0530

Hello again!

I skimmed a bit through the recommended reading list; I would scan them this weekend. I would also like to hack on and understand the code. Are there any small tasks or bug reports that I can start with?

I presume I would have to work with these[1] source repositories not the main qemu git repository, right?

I haven't worked with ARM before, but I have knowledge abut computer architectures and microprocessors thanks to the university courses last semester. Should I learn ARM ISA and stuff from the relevant documents? Do I also need a board or can it be emulated on QEMU?

Plus there are a five projects in MTTCG - which one is essential/basic in nature and needs to be done?
Global TCG State, Shared Cache, Dirty Tracking, Memory Consistency, Instruction Atomicity.

Cheers,
Subhashish Pradhan

1 - http://qemu-project.org/Features/tcg-multithread#Current_Code

P.S. - I didn't get the time(GMT) when you usually hang out on the IRC.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Alex Bennée <address@hidden> wrote:

Subhashish Pradhan <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Alex Bennée <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Subhashish Pradhan <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I am Subhashish Pradhan, a CS undergrad from India. I want to take up the
>> > project "Multi-threaded TCG Projects" for GSoC 2016. I presume you are
>> the
>> > mentor for this project. Can we meet up on the IRC at a suitable time?
>>
>> Sure. I'm busy most of this morning but I'll be around on #qemu-gsoc the
>> rest of the week. What timezone are you in? I'm GMT.
>>

> I'm IST (GMT +0530)
>

>> > I'd like to understand the goals for this project and have a
>> > discussion. This would help me get started with the project, play with
>> code
>> > and write up a proposal.
>>
>> OK. Have you looked at the recommended reading listed on the QEMU wiki?
>> If you have any more questions then email or IRC them please.
>>

> I'll have a look at it and contact you on #qemu (right?)

Either #qemu or #qemu-gsoc is OK. #qemu-gsoc is a little lower traffic
and focused on GSoC like questions - others may jump in to help with
answers to wider questions about GSoC.

--
Alex Bennée