qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Design Doc]Speed up live migration by skipping fre

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Design Doc]Speed up live migration by skipping free pages
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 18:25:24 +0200

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 04:05:16PM +0000, Li, Liang Z wrote:

> OnĀ %D, %SN wrote:
> %Q
>
> %C
>
> Liang

Not if you get the ready bit asynchronously like you wrote here
since is_ready can get set while you called migration_bitmap_sync.

As I said previously,
to make this work you need to filter out synchronously while VCPU is
stopped and while free pages from list are not being used.

Alternatively prevent getting free page list
and filtering them out from
guest from racing with migration_bitmap_sync.

For example, flush the VQ after migration_bitmap_sync.
So:

    lock
    migration_bitmap_sync();
    while (elem = virtqueue_pop) {
        virtqueue_push(elem)
        g_free(elem)
    }
    unlock

while in handle_output

    lock
    while (elem = virtqueue_pop) {
        list = get_free_list(elem)
        filter_out_free(list)
        virtqueue_push(elem)
        free(elem)
    }
    unlock

lock prevents migration_bitmap_sync from racing
against  handle_output

This way you can actually use ioeventfd
for this VQ so VCPU won't be blocked.

I do not think this is so complex, and
this way you can add requests for guest
free bitmap at an arbitary interval
either in host or in guest.

For example, add a value that says how often
should guest update the bitmap, set it to 0
to disable updates after migration done.

Or, make guest resubmit a new one when we consume
the old one, run handle_output about through
a periodic timer on host.