qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 11:18:30 +0200

  Hi,

> I wonder how we can make use of this in qemu and downstream distros?
> Can we have a bios-min.bin which is used with -kernel boots?

We already build two seabios roms: one full featued and one slightly
stripped down to keep it below 128k, for backward compatibility with old
machine types.

Adding a third config for -kernel boot should be easy.  For that use
case we can probably also turn on seabios logging to the serial console
and drop sgabios.  We don't need input (no boot menu) and we also don't
need to hook into int10 (no grub/ipxe using that for output).

cheers,
  Gerd