qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Design Doc]Speed up live migration by skipping fre

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Design Doc]Speed up live migration by skipping free pages
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:24:50 +0530

On (Tue) 22 Mar 2016 [19:05:31], Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Liang Li (address@hidden) wrote:

> > b. Implement a new virtio device
> > Implementing a brand new virtio device to exchange information
> > between host and guest is another choice. It requires modifying the
> > virtio spec too.
>
> If the right solution is to change the spec then we should do it;
> we shouldn't use a technically worse solution just to avoid the spec
> change; although we have to be even more careful to get the right
> solution if we want to change the spec.

Yes, absolutely.  I didn't mean to suggest virtio-serial because it'll
help us save with modifying specs.  I suggested it because for me, the
most important point was that if a guest is sensitive to latencies or
spikes, the balloon driver is definitely going to be not installed by
the guest admin.

(I'm still not caught up on this thread, but wanted to clarify this
right away.)

                Amit