qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 11:14:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 04:06:23PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 10:58:19AM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

> > > Enabling all 4 adds about 2ms.
> >
> > CONFIG_SMBIOS and CONFIG_ACPI only control the legacy internal bios
> > tables.  One would disable CONFIG_FW_ROMFILE_LOAD to disable the newer
> > ACPI tables; there is no config option currently to disable the newer
> > smbios tables.
> >
> > These config names are a bit misleading, so they probably should be
> > changed in seabios.
> >
> > I didn't expect disabling the above options to do anything besides
> > reduce the size of the seabios binary, so I'm a bit suprised it saved
> > 2ms.  Did you have something on your qemu command-line to avoid
> > generating acpi/smbios tables?
>
> The standard deviation of that number over 5 runs was 1ms, so I'm
> somewhat confident the 2ms is measuring something real.  In the grand
> scheme of things it doesn't matter at all.
>
> I'm not using any qemu command line options related to acpi or smbios.

Okay - interesting.

Considering you have acpi=off in linux, you might want to try timing
with CONFIG_ACPI, CONFIG_SMBIOS, and CONFIG_FW_ROMFILE_LOAD all
disabled.  The acpi romfile loading stuff takes 4ms in my tests.

It's not clear to me that disabling acpi is a good plan, but it can't
hurt to time it.

-Kevin