qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] Is NBD_CMD_FLAG_FUA valid during NBD_CMD_FLUSH?

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] Is NBD_CMD_FLAG_FUA valid during NBD_CMD_FLUSH?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:09:26 +0200

Am 01.04.2016 um 09:43 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:

> > That's harmless, but unnecessary in the sense that current documented
> > behaviour doesn't require it. Perhaps it should?
> >
> > I suppose TRIM etc. should support FUA too?
>
> TRIM is an advisory operation, so it doesn't make sense to force access
> to the medium.

I think it does make sense. It means that on completion there is no
pending discard operation (i.e. either there wasn't a discard or if
there was, it has completed) and other readers will see the final state
of the blocks.

> The closest you could get would be to add FUA to WRITE_ZEROES.  But
> since WRITE_ZEROES is not a particularly common operation there isn't
> much to gain compared to FLUSHing after the write has completed; in
> fact SCSI doesn't have a FUA bit on its WRITE SAME command.

Right, I guess this would mostly be for consistency when FUA is
supported more or less everywhere else.

Kevin