qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Implementing 9p for Windows host

From: Michael Fritscher
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Implementing 9p for Windows host
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:41:24 +0200

Good day,

I'm using qemu on a Windows host. One thing I stumbled over was missing 9p support. I thought it was because of missing (x)attr, but Stefan Weil told me that 9p is supported only under Linux hosts.

I searched a bit and got following questions:
* are my following results right: The data structure for 9p is 9FSState, which has the element FileOperations ops. This is defined in fsdev\file-op-9p.h, whis is implemented in 4 ways from hw\p9fs\p9-*.c. These are registered by fsdev\qemu-fsdev.c. * is the file hw\p9fs\p9-local.c the only cause 9p is working only under Linux? * 9p-synth makes only a virtual file system without any references to a real directory tree - so this should already work under Windows? If not: Why not? * How to implement the Windows support? I don't want to clutter the 9p-local.c with #ifdefs all over the place, so my idea is to rename it to 9p-local-posix.c, create a new 9p-local-windows.c and let the build system include the right one? * My first approach will be to skip all of the "fancy" things like permissions (using faked ones), symlinks, special files and so on. Is this ok?
  * Is already somebody else working on it or should I yust jump in?
* Is there any documentation I should read regarding 9p aside the code itself, the user documentation and http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/GettingStartedDevelopers ? * Is there a person which could mentor me a bit (as I'm completely new to qemu source or should I just write to this mailing list or in irc's #qemu channel (I'm both in freenode and oftc)? * Do I need care of any license agreement stuff? If I'm right all files which I need to work with are GPL2, which is fine for me.

Best regards and thanks,
Michael Fritscher

--
ZfT - Zentrum für Telematik e.V.
Michael Fritscher

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Klaus Schilling, Hans-Joachim Leistner
Sitz: Gerbrunn
USt.-ID Nr.: DE 257 244 580, Steuer-Nr.:  257/111/70203
Amtsgericht Würzburg, Vereinsregister-Nr.: VR 200 167