qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] [tcg] Idea on refactoring target code generation

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] [tcg] Idea on refactoring target code generation loop (gen_intermediate_code)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:50:51 +0800

Clearly late to the party,

On 08.04.2016 22:14, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 08/04/2016 15:15, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>>> On the other hand, minimal usage of templates instead of some of the
>>> preprocessor gunk we have would be a very good thing IMNSHO.  I am
>>> referring to the multiply included header files and to the macros with
>>> type arguments (mostly QOM casts).
>>>
>>> I don't think we need more C++ than that, but using templates as
>>> basically a type-safe preprocessor would improve QEMU a little bit.
>>> More rarely, lambdas could replace some preprocessor magic too, but
>>> that's C11 and not many compilers support them.
>>>
>>> But I won't weep if people say no because we have a lot other
>>> low-hanging fruit to make QEMU better (especially the header file
>>
>> "No!"  (Hey, you asked for it)
>>
>> Back to serious.  As Peter Maydell said, "if we move away from C I'd
>> rather it to be a language that's nicer than C rather than one that's
>> uglier and larger and still retains all of C's flaws."
>
> Sure, except that one plan is feasible now and can be done in small
> steps; the other is not feasible now (for example Rust is not even
> packaged in Fedora) and entails pretty much a rewrite of the whole code
> base.

I skip my personal take on these specific issue, but one very practical concern
I have with a potential move to C++,
if I understand these proposals correctly, is with the speed of compilation and
the binary size, and also QEMU startup time.

I noticed while developing for OSv that compilation with C++ and templates was
very slow compared with C, so certain scripts around git I am using to build
and check code from scratch after each patch took a long time to complete.

Do you know what these refactoring proposals' impact on compilation speed,
binary size and startup time would be?

Thank you,

Claudio