qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] post-copy is broken?

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] post-copy is broken?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:23:39 +0100

* Li, Liang Z (address@hidden) wrote:

> > x86_64 ./tests/postcopy-

> > > Thanks, Dave
> > >
> > > The host is CenOS7, its original kernel is 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64
> > > (CentOS 7.1?), The hardware platform is HSW-EP with 64GB RAM.
> >
> > OK, so your test fails on real hardware; my guess is that my test will work
> > on
> > there.
> > Can you try your test with THP disabled on the host:
> >
> > echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
> >

> If the THP is disabled, no fails.
> And your test was always passed, even when  real post-copy was failed.
>
> In my env, the output of
> 'cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled'  is:
>
>  [always] ...

OK, I can't get my test to fail on real hardware - only in a VM; but my
suspicion is we're looking at the same bug; both of them it goes away
if we disable THP, both of them work on 4.4.x and fail on 4.5.x.
I'd love to be able to find a nice easy test to be able to give to Andrea
and Kirill

I've also just confirmed that running (in a VM) a fedora-24 4.5.0 kernel
with a fedora-23 userspace (qemu built under f23) still fails with my test.
So the problem there is definitely triggered by the newer kernel not
the newer userspace.

Dave