qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Design Doc]Speed up live migration by skipping fre

From: Li, Liang Z
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Design Doc]Speed up live migration by skipping free pages
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 02:20:57 +0000

> > > source.

> > > Both are ad-hoc solutions imho.
> > >
> > > c. put the bitmap in a ramblock, check it on destination before
> > >    requesting pages.
> > >
> > > This way it's migrated on-demand.
> > >
> > Hi MST,
> >
> > I think you mean  putting the free page bitmap in a ramblock. Right?
> > If some of the free pages become dirty after updating the free page
> > bitmap, and these pages are discarded by destination, how can we
> > distinguish these discarded pages with the free pages?
> >
> > Could you elaborate how it works?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Liang
>
> Maybe I'm confused - IIUC it's postcopy so VM is running on destination, if
> page is dirty it was modified there so we don't need to get it from source.

The current post-copy is implemented as pre-copy plus post-copy, there is a
stage
 that the source told the destination to discard the newly dirty pages before
vm start
to run on destination. I don't think the free page bitmap will help, we need a
dirty page
bitmap. The dirty page bitmap should not be put in a ramblock, it does not
belong to guest.

> But really I agree with David here - at step 1 just ignore post-copy, don't
> special-case it, even if it becomes slower with your patch.
> Think about it later.

Yes, we can simply ignore the free page if post-copy is enabled.  Think about
it now
will make my work easier :)

Thanks!

Liang