qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Persistent Main Memory in QEmu

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Persistent Main Memory in QEmu
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 09:36:10 +0100

* Li, Tianyou (address@hidden) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we are trying to implement below functionalities in QEmu: main
> memory in guest can be logically viewed as persistent and its content can be
> survived through reboot or shutdown/powerup.
>
> I have looked into the QEmu memory management code include memory.c, exec.c
> and other related source, unfortunately I do not have the chance to get clue
> of how to make QEmu main memory persistent. I found that
> pmemsave<http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE_114/opensuse-kvm/cha.qemu.monitor.html#id547777>
>  could dump physical memory of guest, but I could not find how to restore the
> dump file before VM startup to execution.

Can you explain what you mean by 'persistent' - where do you intend
to store the guests memory?
Also, remember that you'll need to save/load the device state
as well as the rest of RAM.  If you've got a way to preserve
RAM then maybe hte xen-save-devices-state qemu command could be
used to store the rest of devices.

Dave