qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] post-copy is broken?

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] post-copy is broken?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 20:21:10 +0100

Hi Andrea,

I'm wondering if this bug is the opposite way around from what I originally
thought it was - I don't think the problem is 0 pages on the destination; I
think
it's more subtle.

I added some debug to print the source VMs memory and also
the byte in the destination's 1st page (this is in the nest):

nhp_range: block: pc.ram @ 0x7fc59a800000
Destination 1st byte: e8,df <stop> df

   OK, so that tells us that the destination is running OK, and that it
stops running when we tell it to.

Memory content inconsistency at f79000 first_byte = df last_byte = de current =
9 hit_edge = 1 src_byte = 9

'src_byte' is saying that the source VM had the byte 9 in that page (we've
still got the source VMs memory - it's
paused at this point in the test)
  so adding the start of pc.ram we get that being a host address of
0x7FC59B779000 and in the logs I see:
postcopy_place_page: 0x55ba64503f7d->0x7fc59b779000 copy=4096 1stbyte=9/9

  OK, so that shows that when the destination received the page it was also '9'
and after the uffdio_copy
it read as 9 - so the page made it into RAM; it wasn't 0.

But that also means, that page hasn't changed *after* migration; why not?

We can see that the other pages are changing (that Destination 1st byte
line shows the 1st byte of the test memory changed) - so the incrementer
loop has apparently incremented every byte of the test memory multiple
times - except these pages are still stuck at the '9' it got when we
placed the page into it atomically.

I've been unable to trigger this bug in a standalone test case that ran
without kvm.

Is it possible that the guest KVM CPU isn't noticing some change to
the mapping?

Dave