qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Statically Compiling including SDL

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Statically Compiling including SDL
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 19:30:13 +0100

On 11 May 2016 at 19:12, Sam McKelvie <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am having this same problem. Looking at the configure script
> it looks like it prefers to use:
>
>    pkg-config sdl —static
>
> to get the static linker flags, rather than:
>
>   sdl-config —static-libs

Are you trying to statically compile to get a linux-user
binary, or a system-emulation binary? For the former we
shouldn't be linking in SDL anyway, and statically compiling
the latter isn't really supported in my view. (Maybe we
should make configure explicitly reject it. It has a tendency
to break because distros don't check the static-compilation
version of their pkg-config configuration files.)

> The former returns an empty string; the latter returns the correct
> library list. If it had used the latter it would work properly.
> There is a note in the configure effect suggesting that pig-config
> is preferred, but I’m not sure why that is…

pkg-config plays better with cross compilation: you have one
your-architecture-pkg-config which knows about the config files
for that architecture for all libraries. Having a different
config script for each library makes it a huge pain to try
to swap in the right one for each architecture.

(If the two give different answers this is a distro bug.)

thanks
-- PMM