qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] [PULL 23/28] nbd: always query export list in fix

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] [PULL 23/28] nbd: always query export list in fixed new style protocol
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 10:05:50 -0600

> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 09:52:30AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> so it might be nicer to
>> make a change to the protocol document that instead permits current
>> nbdkit behavior and puts the burden on clients to interoperate when
>> NBD_OPT_LIST is not supported.
>
> The purpose of nbdkit is to be a server for qemu, to be a replacement
> for qemu-nbd in cases where proprietary code cannot be combined with
> qemu for copyright/licensing/legal reasons.  So we aim to make sure we
> can interoperate with qemu.  No need to change any standards for
> nbdkit!  Clarifying standards documents is OK though.

I also noticed that nbdkit forcefully rejects a client that sends more
than 32 NBD_OPT_ commands, even though this is perfectly valid behavior
on the part of the client.  Maybe the protocol should document a
(higher) limit on minimum number of options a client can expect to be
serviced before the server dropping the connection because the client is
wasting the server's time.