qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM IRQ Generation

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM IRQ Generation
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 13:48:02 +0100

On 25 May 2016 at 13:42, Karthik <address@hidden> wrote:
> Okay, understood. I`ll hold the IRQ line until CPU acknowledges the
> interrupt.
>
> By the way, is there a distinction between edge and level triggered
> interrupt in the qemu or it is up to the emulation implementation?

In QEMU, if you call qemu_set_irq(irq, 1) this is equivalent to
the hardware taking the IRQ wire to logical 1. Calling
qemu_set_irq(irq, 0) is taking the wire to logical 0.
(qemu_irq_pulse() takes the wire very briefly to logical 1, and
is a bit of an odd thing to do.) You need to do what the hardware
does to the hardware irq wire in the same situations when the
hardware changes the irq wire state.

Edge vs level is about what a device does when it sees a change
in state on an an incoming interrupt wire. "Edge triggered" means
it cares about the 0->1 change, and implies that it has an
internal latch which is set when the edge is detected, so that
it doesn't matter if the incoming wire drops to 0 again. "Level
triggered" means that it is the level state of the incoming wire
that matters. This is again all about "how do you behave when
you see the wire state changing", and you need to do what the
hardware does. If the hardware is strictly edge-triggered then
your model should be also; if it is always level-triggered then
your model must do the same; if it is configurable then again
you need to model the configurability.

thanks
-- PMM