qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] undefined symbol _nettle_cast5_set_key

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] undefined symbol _nettle_cast5_set_key
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 15:00:17 +0100

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 04:43:51PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/20/2016 01:15 PM, Programmingkid wrote:
> > Noticed this bug after a 'git pull'. My repo is at commit
> > 65603e2fc18b48e6e55a3dd693669413141694ec -
> > tci: do not include exec/exec-all.h
> >
> > I am building QEMU on Mac OS 10.6 with GCC 4.9.
> > Here is the full message:
> >
> >  LINK  qemu-nbd
> > Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
> >   "_nettle_cast5_set_key", referenced from:
> >       _qcrypto_cipher_new in cipher.o
>
> What version of nettle are you compiling against? Obviously it's an
> older version, but is it one that we need to work around at configure
> time, or one that you should just update locally?

So we already have compatibility code to allow us to build with older
versions of nettle that I've tested right back to nettle 2.4.

The "cast5_set_key" method is present in the nettle 3.2 version that
Programmingkid has installed. The nettle headers mangle the name
'cast5_set_key' into 'nettle_cast5_set_key', but I'm not sure where
the extra leading '_' is coming from in either _nettle_cast5_set_key
or _qcrypto_cipher_new. Presumably that is something specific to
Os-X linking.

So I don't think this is a question of incompatible older versions of
nettle. Rather than is some problem with linking going on here.

I'd like to see the output of 'configure' as well as the config.log
and config-host.mak files that it generates when showing this error.

Also I'd like the output of 'make V=1' so we see the full linker
command line, not just the summary.

Regards,
Daniel