qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-img convert of a backing qcow2 snapshot

From: Christopher Pereira
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img convert of a backing qcow2 snapshot
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 23:42:59 -0400

Hi,

Let's say we have this chain:

    base <--- sn1 <--- sn2 <--- active

Can we shutdown the VM and "qemu-img convert sn2 -O qcow2 sn2_new" and rebase active to sn2_new like this:

    sn2_new <--- active

?

Or is it better practice to blockpull? BTW, is blockpull into an non-active snapshot already supported and stable?

I have tested this qemu-img convert approach and it seems to work, but I would like to ask someone more familiar with qcow2 internals and prevent data corruption.

Best regards,
Christopher Pereira