qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4] virtio-crypto specification

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4] virtio-crypto specification
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 13:16:54 +0100

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 07:27:59AM +0000, Gonglei (Arei) wrote:
> I'd like to know what's the process of a new virtio device can be merged?
> Anybody can tell me? Thanks a lot.
>
> Taking Virtio-gpu as an example, the virtio-gpu had been merged in Linux
> kernel
> And Qemu communities, but the corresponding virtio-gpu spec hadn't been merged
> yet. Why was that? Am I missing some rules? Thanks.

That's the wrong way around and should be avoided.  It would be bad if
guests started running with drivers that don't implement the same
specification as QEMU.

Therefore the virtio spec should be merged first.  Maybe the Linux
driver can be merged under staging or marked experimental, but it should
not be considered stable before the spec has been accepted by the VIRTIO
Technical Committee.

Stefan