qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] TCG problem with cpu_{st,ld}x_data ?

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] TCG problem with cpu_{st,ld}x_data ?
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:51:37 +1000

On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 10:46 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 06:06 +0530, Richard Henderson wrote:
> >
> > These functions would have to be always_inline for this to work.
> > Otherwise you
> > could get the helper's PC, not the TCG caller's PC.
> >
> > But let's try to fix this the other way.
>
> I could use some help there as I don't really understand the PC fixup
> adjustment mechanism in qemu...

One thing I can do, but I don't know whether that's worthwhile (you
tell me), is change all translation helpers in powerpc to do like
x86, which is to pass the RA along and never use the non_ra() variants.

But that's quite a bit of churn, so let me know if your plan is better.

Are those functions always meant to be called within translation
helpers ? IE, the fault can safely longjmp out and it's just a matter
of finding the proper instruction PC to report ?

Or can they also be called outside of that context ?

Cheers,
Ben.