qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu tracing documentation

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu tracing documentation
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 20:06:15 +0100

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Gadre Nayan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Quoting from the documentation for qemu tracing:
> docs/tracing.txt:
>
> "
> === Analyzing trace files ====
> The "simple" backend produces binary trace files that can be formatted with
> the
> simpletrace.py script. The script takes the "trace-events-all" file and the
> binary trace:
> ./scripts/simpletrace.py trace-events-all trace-12345
> You must ensure that the same "trace-events-all" file was used to build QEMU,
> otherwise trace event declarations may have changed and output will not be
> consistent."
>
> The statement "trace-events-all file was used to build QEMU", however
> in configure script we only have an option to specify which trace
> backend to use and NOT the trace-events file name:
> ./configure --enable-trace-backends=simple
>
> Should this be changed or am i missing something?

Please email the mailing list and CC me instead of sending private
emails.  That way the discussion is searchable, archived, and others
can participate.  Thanks!

The trace-events-all file is generated as part of the build process.
It is the global list of trace events that have been included in the
QEMU binary.  It is needed by simpletrace.py to load the trace event
names, arguments, etc for parsing the trace-12345 file.

Maybe you are thinking of the qemu -trace events=my-events file that
you can specify at runtime with a list of events to trace?

I think the documentation is correct but maybe it could be rephrased
to make it clearer.  You're welcome to submit patches, the guidelines
are here: http://qemu-project.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

Stefan