qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Dangling change state handler while hot unplugging ahci

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Dangling change state handler while hot unplugging ahci adapter
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 14:18:42 -0400

On 08/09/2016 01:16 PM, Ashijeet Acharya wrote:
Hi again,
I am still waiting for some guidance...Can I please get some help with this?

Also.. I tried hotplugging an AHCI adapter but got the following error:
Bus 'ahci.0' does not support hotplugging

Steps I followed:

1. launch vm with ahci enabled
2. (qemu) drive_add 0 file=test.qcow2,cache=none,if=none,id=disk2,format=qcow2
OK
3. (qemu) device_add ide-hd,bus=ahci.0,id=ahci-disk,drive=disk2
Bus 'ahci.0' does not support hotplugging

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Ashijeet

I think you are confusing hotplugging the AHCI adapter with hotplugging an IDE drive into an AHCI adapter.

IDE/ATA/PATA (A rose by any other name...) drives do not support hotplugging (hence "Bus 'ahci.0' does not support hotplugging").

SATA drives do in theory, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

That's probably a little more involved than a Bite Sized Task, but it's something that I'd be willing to review if you embarked upon such a task.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Ashijeet Acharya