qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU make: ROM is too large

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU make: ROM is too large
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:23:15 +0100

On 19 August 2016 at 18:58, Thomas Hanson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just pulled top of tree, make clean and make as follows:
>     CFLAGS="-g3 -O0" ./configure  --enable-vhost-net --enable-virtfs
>     make -j8
>
> Build fails with
[...]
>   CC    qga/channel-posix.o
>   Signing optionrom/linuxboot_dma.bin
>   CC    qga/qapi-generated/qga-qapi-types.o
> error: ROM is too large (2072 > 1536)
> make[1]: *** [linuxboot_dma.bin] Error 1
>
> Last commit in repo is:
>   commit 02b1ad881cbb1795029737a9077db60267dc0c6f
>   Merge: 5844365 156af3a
>   Author: Peter Maydell <address@hidden>
>   Date:   Thu Aug 18 14:42:51 2016 +0100
>
>     Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/stefanha/tags/block-pull-request'
> into staging
>
> Nothing jumped out at me in a quick review of Makefiles, scripts, configs,
> etc.
>
> Any suggestions as to the source of the issue or how to fix it?

The first guess would be that trying to build unoptimized
has made the ROM images too big. (We have to give them a
fixed maximum size or migration breaks.) However commit
9d4cd7b4 is supposed to have fixed that.

You could try building with V=1 to print the full compiler
command lines to check that it has overridden the -O0
for building the ROMs.

PS: just passing --enable-debug to configure should
be sufficient to do a no-optimization debug-symbols
build; do you really need to manually specify
CFLAGS? I wonder whether you're ending up with two
-Osomething options in your CFLAGS which is then
confusing the "override with -O2" logic in the
pc-bios/optionrom/Makefile.

thanks
-- PMM