qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to add support for building in MSYS2 on Windows

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to add support for building in MSYS2 on Windows
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:58:36 +0200

On 08/24/16 09:44, Evan Hunter wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that QEMU would not compile on Windows in the MSYS2 environment.
Here is a patch that adds a check for it to the configure script and
amended some ifdefs so it now builds.

At the bottom of this email is a build script I made for building under
MSYS2, however I am
not sure if it is suitable merging nor where it should go.

Regards,

Evan Hunter

Hi Evan,

I'm not sure whether adding support for MSYS2 builds is a good idea or not. Supporting several build environments for QEMU for Windows requires a lot of time. Currently we only support MinGW-w64. It has several advantages:

* 32 and 64 bit builds supported
* cross builds on Linux (Redhat, Debian, others) supported
* cross builds on Windows with Cygwin supported
* native builds on Windows supported

AFAIK Redhat includes all packages needed for the cross builds.
Cygwin also has excellent package support.
Debian only includes the build tools, but can use Cygwin packages.

In most cases it is sufficient to test QEMU builds with MinGW-w64 on one platform, and all others will work, too. Usually QEMU developers will run their tests using Linux (me too).

For MSYS2, we'd need additional build tests running on Windows (please correct me if I am wrong - I have no own experience with MSYS2). What would be the advantages of supporting MSYS2?

Maybe you could start with documenting the MSYS2 based build process on http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/W32 and refer to a QEMU git clone which includes the necessary modifications.

More feedback also from other contributors whether MSYS2 support is wanted or not would be helpful.

Kind regards,
Stefan Weil