qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-stable] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.6.1 Stable released

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-stable] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.6.1 Stable released
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:45:56 +0200

Am 25.08.2016 um 19:23 schrieb Michael Roth:
Quoting Peter Lieven (2016-08-25 01:38:13)
Am 17.08.2016 um 21:30 schrieb Michael Roth:
Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce that the QEMU v2.6.1 stable release is now
available:

    http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-2.6.1.tar.bz2

v2.6.1 is now tagged in the official qemu.git repository,
and the stable-2.6 branch has been updated accordingly:

    http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stable-2.6

This is a fairly large update that addresses a broad range of bugs
and security issues. Users should upgrade accordingly.

Thank you to everyone involved!
Hi Michael,

thanks for putting this together. Unfortunately, I was on holiday during
the patch round up for 2.6.1

I additionally have the following 5 patches in case you want or need to
release a 2.6.1.1 or 2.6.2:

bd9f480 ui: fix refresh of VNC server surface
4c23084 net: limit allocation in nc_sendv_compat

the vnc fix was also on the list during the freeze. Looking at it at the moment.
There seems to be a second issue with the VNC server as well..
The otherone indeed is missing. Its not critical there is just to much memory
allocated. I will ping Stefan to PULL it for 2.8.

I don't see these in master yet.

bf97c17 iscsi: pass SCSI status back for SG_IO
I'll pull this in if there's another release, but doesn't look
like a regression from 2.6.0 at least.

No, it was not there all the time.

7c509d1 virtio: decrement vq->inuse in virtqueue_discard()
700f26b virtio: recalculate vq->inuse after migration
Looks like these got posted during the freeze :(

The virtio thing is important because live migration is broken without
the fix as  86cc089 is in 2.6.1.
Not sure I understand the relation to 86cc089. Wouldn't the check
introduced there always pass due to target initializing inuse to 0?

Or is the issue that the fix introduced in 86cc089 is only partially
effective due to inuse not being recalculated properly on target? That might
warrant a 2.6.1.1...

This is what Stefan wrote in the cover letter to the series:

"I should mention this is for QEMU 2.7. These fixes are needed if the
CVE-2016-5403 patch has been applied. Without these patches any device that
holds VirtQueueElements acros
live migration will terminate with a "Virtqueue size exceeded" error message.
virtio-balloon and virtio-scsi are affected. virtio-bl
probably too but I haven't tested it."

Maybe