qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] A question about postcopy safety

From: liutgnu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] A question about postcopy safety
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:51:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hi David,I'm studying the process of postcopy migration, and I found that the
memory pages migrated from source to destination are not encrypted. Does this
make the VM vulnerable if it's memory has been tampered with during postcopy
migration?

I think precopy has less risk because the source's memory is always altering.
If one page is tampered with during network transfer, with source still
running, then a later version of that page may keep updating. So it would be
quite difficult to track all different page versions, and tamper with the final
version of one page.

But when it comes to postcopy, the situation is riskier because one specific
page is only transferred once. It's easy to capture all transferring memory
pages, tamper and resend.

When the memory been tampered with, the safety of the VM will be compromised.

Any ideas? thank you!Liutao