qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Deprecate/remove AIX host support? Solaris?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Deprecate/remove AIX host support? Solaris?
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 16:57:24 +0100

Hi; I was wondering whether we should remove the probably-broken
and certainly-untested support for some of the more obscure host
OSes we have ifdefs lurking around for.

AIX host support seems like an easy one to me. As far as I
can tell it's been impossible to build QEMU since 2013 without
editing configure (in commit e3608d66cea31 rth made "cpu=ppc64"
result in adding a "-m64" option to CFLAGS, and AIX gcc doesn't
understand -m64). Since nobody has complained I think we can
assume that nobody's actually using this host. I have tentatively
added the note
"Support for building on AIX is deprecated. We think it has been
 broken for some time and plan to remove it entirely in 2.8."
to the 2.7 ChangeLog. (If people disagree or somebody pops up to
volunteer to test and maintain AIX host support I'll delete the
changelog text, obviously.)

Possibly more controversially, Solaris host support? Is anybody
using and testing this?

thanks
-- PMM