qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] proposed release timetable for 2.8

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] proposed release timetable for 2.8
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 16:11:43 +0100

On 5 September 2016 at 15:47, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> Based also on the discussion at QEMU summit, where there was consensus
> that three weeks between softfreeze and rc0 was too much, IMO we can
> shorten the period to just two weeks
>
> * softfreeze is a deadline for _maintainers_ to post their large pull
> requests.  Developers are unaffected, except that the maintainers will
> be stricter.

I think there is a difference for developers, because our
current definition (http://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/SoftFeatureFreeze)
says that "non-trivial features should have code posted to the list".
If you want feature pull reqs to be onlist by the softfreeze date
then that means developers need to get their patches onlist (and
indeed through code review) earlier.

So for practical purposes I don't think it makes much difference:
if you're a dev trying to get a feature into 2.8 then you will
need to get it all code reviewed and into the maintainer's tree
about a week earlier than under our current longer schedule with
a more relaxed attitude to late-feature-stuff. Describing it
all this way might be clearer to everybody about when stuff needs
to be done, though.

thanks
-- PMM