qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 0/4] adding mdev bus and vfio support

From: Jike Song
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 0/4] adding mdev bus and vfio support
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 10:22:26 +0800

On 09/02/2016 11:03 PM, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Fri,  2 Sep 2016 16:16:08 +0800
> Jike Song <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> This patchset is based on NVidia's "Add Mediated device support" series,
>> version 6:
>>
>>      http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg136472.html
>

> Hi Jike,
>
> I'm thrilled by your active participation here, but I'm confused which
> versions I should be reviewing and where the primary development is
> going.  Kirti sent v7 a week ago, so I would have expected a revision
> based on that rather than a re-write based on v6 plus incorporation of a
> few of Kirti's patches directly.

Hi Alex,

[Sorry! replied this on Monday but it was silently dropped by the our firewall]

The v1 of this patchset was send as incremental ones, basing on Nvidia's v6, to
demonstrate how is it possible and beneficial to:

        1, Introduce an independent device between physical and mdev;
        2, Simplify vfio-mdev and make it the most flexible for vendor drivers;

Unfortunately neither was understood or adopted in v7:

        http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg137081.html

So here came the v2, as a standalone series, to give a whole and straight
demonstration. The reason of still basing on v6:

        - Addressed all v6 comments (except the iommu part);
        - There is no comments yet for v7 (except the sysfs ones);

> I liked the last version of these
> changes a lot, but we need to figure out how to combine development
> because we do not have infinite cycles for review available :-\  Thanks!

Fully understand.

Here is the dilemma: v6 is an obsolete version to work upon, v7 is still not
at the direction we prefer. We would be highly glad and thankful if Neo/Kirti
would adopt the code in their next version, which will certainly form a
more simple and consolidated base for future co-development; otherwise
and we could at least discuss the concerns, in case of any.

--
Thanks,
Jike