qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding new source files

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding new source files
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 10:59:25 +0100

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 03:11:16PM +0200, Pradeep Kiruvale wrote:
> I have added two new files (.h/.c) file in 9pfs for some new feature.
> When I compile there is a lot of compilation time errors and also I do not
> see a dependency
> file getting created for this source file.
>
> Please let me know how can I fix this, is there a place where I need to
> mention the .h files?
> I have already added the .o file extension in Makefile.obj
>
> When I integrate these functionalities inside the existing source files, it
> works fine. But I want
> to keep the code in separate files. Please help me to fix this issue.

You didn't post any error messages, link to a git tree, or detailed
information so no we can't help you.

General tips:

.h files don't need to be listed anywhere manually.  Dependencies are
picked up automatically during the build process.

Use "make V=1" to see the full command-lines that make is running.  You
can then re-run just a single command-line manually, if necessary, to
help troubleshoot the problem.

Look up the compiler/linker error messages online and try to understand
why you are getting them.

Look at ./configure and the output files it generates to understand how
optional features are enabled/disabled.  For example, look at
config-host.mak, x86_64-softmmu/config-target.mak,
./x86_64-softmmu/config-devices.mak.

Learn about gcc -I and header search paths if the compiler cannot find
your header file.

Good luck!

Stefan