qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2] libvirt vGPU QEMU integration

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2] libvirt vGPU QEMU integration
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 15:58:08 +0100

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 04:49:09PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 20/09/2016 16:41, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > As I've said in my earlier reply - libvirt will *NOT* support passing
> > arbitrary vendor specific parameters as a blob via the XML. Everything
> > that appears in the XML must be *fully* specified and explicitly
> > represented in the XML  as a distinct attribute or element.
>
> Are generic key/value attributes (e.g. a <attribute> element) acceptable?

Only if libvirt has a known list of valid attribute key names upfront.
We don't want to just blindly expose arbitary vendor specific keys exposed
by the kernel. Libvirt's job is to ensure the XML representation is vendor
portable and stable across software versions. If we just blindly expose
the strings reported by the host, then the XML will change if the vendor
arbitararily renames an attribute in a software update, or if two
vendors have the same concept there's no guaranteed name between them.

Regards,
Daniel