qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2] libvirt vGPU QEMU integration

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2] libvirt vGPU QEMU integration
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 22:43:11 -0600

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 04:10:53 +0000
"Tian, Kevin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Not sure where you're going with this, we're not creating a programming
interface for the device, that exists through the vfio API.  I believe
the intention here is simply a user level classification for the
purpose of being able to interpret the attributes provided in a logical
way.

> for unique class ID, I once considered whether it could be directly
> inherited from class of parent device, since typically a vendor driver
> creates mdev devices using the same type as physical device. But later
> I realized one potential value of keep a class field for mdev types,
> e.g. if we want to extend mdev to FPGA which could be programmed
> as different classes of functionalities. :-)

And how do we generically determine the class of a parent device?  We
cannot assume the parent device is PCI.  Thanks,

Alex