qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2] libvirt vGPU QEMU integration

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2] libvirt vGPU QEMU integration
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:01:41 -0600

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 02:33:01 +0000
"Tian, Kevin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

A simple mutex in the sysfs store attribute to serialize, return write
error if insufficient resources to create additional devices...  Easy.
Let's not exaggerate the issue.

> My feeling is that we'd better keep create simple - just write a UUID
> to "type-id/create". Any class-specific attribute, if we really want to
> support, should be able to be individually configured with required
> resource allocated incrementally on top of basic resources allocated
> at create stage. Then libvirt can set those attributes between create
> and open a mdev device. If this direction is accepted, then naturally
> such attributes should be put under mdev directory. Possibly we
> don't need a class description under type-id. libvirt just checks directly
> whether any known class represented in each mdev directory (vendor
> driver will expose it on demand), and then operate attributes under
> that class.

It seems like this just moves the hypothetical race to the point where
we're adjusting individual attributes for the mdev device, but now the
problem is worse because there's no simple locking or serialization
that guarantees we can get all the attributes we want.  We might get
half the attributes for one device and half the attributes for another
and not be able to complete initialization of either.  I think we also
lose a lot of our ability to expose pre-defined configurations to the
user and the vendor's test matrix explodes.  We also can't provide any
sort of reasonable estimate of how many devices can be created because
we don't know the resource requirements of each device.  I don't like
this idea at all, sorry.  Thanks,

Alex