qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Default CPU for NMI injection (QMP and IPMI)

From: Corey Minyard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Default CPU for NMI injection (QMP and IPMI)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:49:35 -0500

On 09/22/2016 01:42 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 03:38:25PM -0500, Corey Minyard wrote:
On 09/21/2016 03:20 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
Hi,

I was looking at the monitor code handling the "current CPU", and
noticed that qmp_inject_nmi() looks suspicious: it is a QMP
command, but uses monitor_get_cpu_index().

In addition to the "inject-nmi" QMP command, qmp_inject_nmi() is
used at:
* hmp_inject_nmi()
* ipmi_do_hw_op() (IPMI_SEND_NMI operation)

This confused me, so I would like to know:

1) What exactly "default CPU" is supposed to mean in the
     "inject-nmi" QMP command documentation?
2) To which CPU(s) are NMIs supposed to be sent when triggered by
     IPMI messages? I don't know how to test the IPMI code, but it
     looks like it will crash if QEMU runs without any monitor.

It doesn't matter which CPU it goes to.
OK, so in the case of IPMI we can make it send the NMI to the
first CPU.

I haven't tested without a monitor, so I'm not sure.  Does
another interface into the NMI code need to be added?
There's another interface, already: nmi_monitor_handle() already
gets a cpu_index argument and doesn't depend on the monitor code.
We could change the IPMI code to call
nmi_monitor_handle(first_cpu->cpu_index) directly.

Ok, I'll make a change for this, unless we decide to fix it
another way.

In the case of the inject-nmi QMP command, I need to understand
what "default CPU" is supposed to mean in the inject-nmi
documentation. Maybe it can be changed to use the first CPU, too
(that's probably the existing behavior because there's no way to
change cur_mon->mon_cpu in a QMP monitor).

I looked through is a bit, and the only place I found it was used was
the x390 code.

If we remove the CPU index from this, then the IPMI device can
keep the same interface.

Thanks,

-corey