qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-stable] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.6.1 Stable released

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-stable] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.6.1 Stable released
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:52:12 -0500

Quoting Peter Lieven (2016-09-27 06:30:27)
> [...]
>
>                                 This is what Stefan wrote in the cover letter
> to the series:
>
>                                 "I should mention this is for QEMU 2.7. These
> fixes are needed if the
>                                 CVE-2016-5403 patch has been applied. Without
> these patches any device that holds VirtQueueElements acros
>                                 live migration will terminate with a
> "Virtqueue size exceeded" error message. virtio-balloon and virtio-scsi are
> affected. virtio-bl
>                                 probably too but I haven't tested it."
>
>                                 Maybe
>
>                             The virtio inuse fixes are needed for stable
> (v2.6.2?) so that the
>                             spurious "Virtqueue size exceeded" on migration
> is solved.
>
>                             The error can be reproduced when there is a
> VirtQueueElement pending
>                             across migration (e.g. virtio-blk s->rq failed
> request list).
>
>                         Thanks for clarifying. I'm planning to do a 2.6.2 to
> capture these, the
>                         patches Peter mentioned, and some other fixes that
> came during 2.7 RC
>                         phase.
>
>                         I have an initial staging tree at:
>

> https://github.com/mdroth/qemu/commits/stable-2.6-staging
>
>                         There's still a few PULLs in flight with patches I
> plan to pull in, but
>                         hoping to send out the patch round-up early next week
> and a release the
>                         following week.
>
>                     Two more candidates for stable:
>
>                     4b7f91e virtio: zero vq->inuse in virtio_reset()
>                     104e70c virtio-balloon: discard virtqueue element on reset
>
>                     They also deal with "Virtqueue size exceeded" errors.
>
>                     Stefan
>
>                 There also seems to be an regression (segfault) in the VNC
> server in 2.6.1, but i am still investigating.
>
>             Do you have a reproducer? I can try a bisect. Trying to get the
> initial
>             staging tree posted today but want to make sure any known
> regressions are
>             addressed beforehand.
>

>         Hi Michael,
>
>         we have not been able to reproduce anymore. My guess is that our
> client
>         had a bug in the new version
>         and that the regression can only happen in a special connection state.
>         But we are still trying
>         to reproduce.
>

>     We are again able to reproduce the VNC error. The vServer dies with:
>
>     qemu: qemu_mutex_lock: Invalid argument
>
>     We are working on it.
>

> The bug we faced is fixed upstream in:
>
> ui: avoid crash if vnc client disconnects with writes pending
>
> This should definetly go in 2.6.2
>
> Other vnc related patches might also go in:
>
> vnc: make sure we finish disconnect
>
> vnc: ensure connection sharing/limits is always configured
>
> vnc: fix crash when vnc_server_info_get has an error
>
> vnc: don't crash getting server info if lsock is NULL
>
> vnc-enc-tight: fix off-by-one bug
>
> vnc: fix incorrect checking condition when updating client
>

> unfortunately none of these had qemu-stable in CC.

I have these applied in 2.6.2 staging:

  https://github.com/mdroth/qemu/commits/stable-2.6-staging

I wasn't ever able to reproduce the VNC crash though, so if you have a
chance to verify and spot any issues still present prior to the
2.6.2 release ~24 hours from now please let me know.