qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] How to add my implementation of the fmadds i

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] How to add my implementation of the fmadds instruction to QEMU
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 17:52:41 -0400

On Sep 29, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Alex Bennée wrote:

> Programmingkid <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I think there is a way you could get both speed and accuracy, but it's
>>> a huge project:
>>>
>>> You'd need to add full float awareness to TCG - so floating point TCG
>>> values and floating point operations as tcp micro-ops, defined
>>> according to IEEE semantics.  Then you'd need to rewrite the TCG
>>> frontends in terms of those new ops, at least for target CPUs close
>>> enough to IEEE semantics for that to work.  And you'd need to rewrite
>>> the TCG backends to implement those fp ops in terms of host cpu fp
>>> instructions .. at least when the host has fp behaviour close enough
>>> to IEEE to make that work, with a fallback to soft float when that's
>>> not the case.
>>
>> Interesting idea. Do you think we would see a large enough increase in speed
>> to justify this project?
>
> It really depends on workload. If you want to run lots of encoding/audio
> workloads in TCG guests it is certainly something that could be
> improved.
>
> As others have pointed out however it is a fairly big project.
>
> --
> Alex Bennée

Alex Bennée? I was just watching your KVM video about MTTCG! Small world.

I so want audio to play correctly in a PowerPC Mac OS guest. So this
project might be necessary.

If it is a fairly big project, then I will need to map it out some more.
I've made a mind map of what I know so far. It is attached to this email.
Let me know if you can think of anything to add.

http://i.imgur.com/MYkiKGx.png