qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] top(1) utility implementation in QEMU

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] top(1) utility implementation in QEMU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:09:32 +0100

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 08:51:01PM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:

> > > In order to avoid a Libvirt "tainted" state at production env, of course
> > > assuming qemu-top is useful there at all.
> >
> > Adding another QMP-like protocol seems like a rather steep price just
> > for avoiding "tainted".
> >
> > Any chance we can provide this feature together with libvirt instead of
> > behind its back?
>
> That would be the best, but I am not sure how to make an appropriate
> interface.

IMHO the QMP monitor just isn't a good fit for performance monitoring due to
its inherant inefficiency wrt serialization/deserialiation. This is already
a problem with the limitation usage libvirt makes of QMP when we're collecting
data from a number of guests. I also think it is a bad choice for exposing
adhoc debugging facilities too - dynamic instrumentation is far more
flexible as it avoids us having to maintain long term stable QMP schemas
for instrumenting internal, ever changing data structures.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|