qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] x86 Instruction Testing?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] x86 Instruction Testing?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 02:19:28 -0700

On 11 October 2016 at 16:51, Taylor Edward Heimbichner
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm a student researcher with the University of Arizona's Computer Science
> Department. I'm writing to ask if any executable that you use to test QEMU
> systematically tests all, or at least a large portion, of the x86
> instruction set? We're working on a project that involves dynamic taint
> analysis and would like to use an executable like this to comprehensively
> test our work. Thank you.

My suggestions would be one of:
(a) extend the 'risu' tool
https://git.linaro.org/people/peter.maydell/risu.git/blob/HEAD:/README
to handle x86

(b) look at valgrind's test suite, which is much more comprehensive
than QEMU's is.

NB: neither of these makes any attempt at testing 'system'
instructions, only those which can be used by a userspace
binary.

thanks
-- PMM