qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 20:15:02 +0100

Hi,
  I had a look at a couple of readline like libraries;
editline and linenoise.  A difficulty with using them is that
they both want fd's or FILE*'s; editline takes either but
from a brief look I think it's expecting to extract the fd.
That makes them tricky to integrate into qemu, where
the chardev's hide a whole bunch of non-fd things; in particular
tls, mux, ringbuffers etc.

If we could get away with just a FILE* then we could use fopencookie,
but that's GNU only.

Is there any sane way of shepherding all chardev's into having an
fd?

Once you had those then you could also use them in a separate thread.

Dave