qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 11:16:16 +0100

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:05:53AM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > No, the two are equally wrong as wrong as far as threading is concerned:
> > unless that other thread is executing an HMP command, error_report()
> > calls vfprintf().

> > > Pretty much all code should be using error_setg together with an Error
> > > **errp
> > > parameter to the method. The only places that should use error_report are
> > > at
> > > top of the call chain where they unambigously know that the printed result
> > > is going to the right place.
> >
> > When you know your code's running on behalf of startup code, a monitor
> > command or similar, go ahead and error_report().
> >
> > When you don't know your context, error reporting should be left to
> > something up the stack that does.  This means returning a suitable error
> > value in simple cases (null, -1, -errno, whatever makes sense, just
> > document it), and error_setg() when error values don't provide enough
> > information to the caller to report the error in a useful way.
>
> We need a way to be able to report an error without plumbing error_setg
> up the stack; if you're saying error_report isn't suitable then we
> should just recommend we switch everything in migration back to
> fprintf(stderr,

Well both error_report() + fprintf  are broken from POV of anything
using QMP. error_report() is slightly less broken for HMP, but doesn't
help QMP.

In the short term we should just make error_report be  threadsafe in
its usage of the monitor. Beyond the short term we have no choice but
to plumb in error_setg throughout, otherwise QMP will continue to
have useless error reporting in this area of code.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|