qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:23:27 +0100

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 02:16:37PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 20/10/2016 08:43, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > On 19.10.2016 12:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> >> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> >> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
> >
> > Looks good to me! Two comments, though:
> >
> > - The main font color is not black, but rather some dark grey. I think
> >   I'd rather change that to something darker (either black or a darker
> >   grey) instead - there are people who have problems with low contrasts,
> >   and especially the "What is QEMU?" section with the light grey
> >   background might be hard to read for them.
>
> Reload for a surprise. :)

I'm not a fan of the huge page in the background - even with it faded
out it still distracts from the content above it. The bright red banner
is a bit too brash too and some of the different colour shades clash.

I mocked up a variant on your styling to illustrate a potential
alternative approach:

  https://berrange.com/~dan/qemu/index.html

There's essentially only 2 colors used there - the orange from the
QEMU logo is used for links when you hover/click them. That orange
then has lightness value reduced, so give the darker orange for
header and non-active links. That ensures the relative color mix
between the two is consistent, avoiding clashing color.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|