qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:12:58 +0200

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 20/10/2016 10:37, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> You have a problem of context - if you have multiple monitors, how do
>> you know which to send the error back to if you're not in the event
>> loop thread, and thus cur_mon is NULL. With Marc-Andre's series which
>> allows proper async command processing it gets even harder, because
>> there's potentially many outstanding commands associated with a monitor
>> and you need to decide which the error should be given to.
>
> Why should it even consult the current monitor?  Shouldn't errors go to
> all HMP monitors when QEMU falls back to error_report?

Maybe.  Copying error_report() output to human monitors is a courtesy to
users who fail to watch stderr.  But what about QMP?  I figure all we
could do there is sending some "Uh, here's an error message that may or
may not be related to anything you've been doing in this monitor, do
with it what you want" event.  Would that be useful?

Also, when you got an HMP monitor and stderr on the same tty (or
whatever), you'd want to suppress one of the two messages.