qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:22:41 +0200

On 21/10/2016 07:23, Stefan Weil wrote:
> That won't make the situation better, because the desktops also include
> elements with copyright. That's why the QEMU article on Wikipedia shows
> ReactOS, not a Windows desktop.

It's still possible to show a selection of guests (certainly not Apple
ones, but that's okay).  Wikipedia in general (though not all language
editions are the same!) wants to ensure minimum hassle for those that
reuse the contents.

Linux guests obviously pose no issues, and Microsoft's policy for
screenshots is longish but very reasonable
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/permissions/default.aspx):

* Use full product name
If your use includes references to a Microsoft product, you must use the
full name of the product. When referencing any Microsoft trademarks,
follow the General Microsoft Trademark Guidelines.

* Link Methods
You may link to Microsoft content by using either a plain text link with
words such as "This way to Microsoft.com" or by participating in an
applicable Link Logo program. No other images may be used as a link to a
Microsoft site.

* No offensive use
Your use may not be obscene or pornographic, and you may not be
disparaging, defamatory, or libelous to Microsoft, any of its products,
or any other person or entity.

* Permitted by Microsoft
You must include the following statement: "Used with permission from
Microsoft."

* You may not use screenshots of Microsoft product boot-up screens,
opening screens, "splash screens," or screens from beta release products
or other products that have not been commercially released.

* You may use other screenshots in advertising, in documentation
(including educational brochures), in tutorial books, in videos, or on
websites, provided that, in addition to the requirements above, you:
  - Do not alter the screenshot except to resize it.
  - Do not use portions of screenshots.
  - Do not include screenshots in your product user interface.
  - Do not use screenshots that contain third-party content.
  - Do not use screenshots that contain an image of an identifiable
    individual.

In fact, the ugly icons in the front page are supposed to be replaced by
a screenshot gallery!  My plan was to take inspiration from the QEMU
advent calendar, but if you have other ideas please send 800x600 JPG or
PNG screenshots to me off list.

Paolo