qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 30/47] acpi nvdimm: fix device physical address b

From: Xiao Guangrong
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 30/47] acpi nvdimm: fix device physical address base
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 19:09:07 +0800

On 10/31/2016 06:56 PM, Igor Mammedov wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:23:31 +0800
Xiao Guangrong <address@hidden> wrote:

On 10/31/2016 05:20 PM, Igor Mammedov wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 23:24:46 +0200

From: Xiao Guangrong <address@hidden>

According to ACPI 6.0  spec, "Memory Device Physical Address
Region Base" in memdev is defined as "This field provides the
Device Physical Address base of the region". This field should
be zero in our case
I'm not sure that it should be a zero,
care to point source which tells that it should be zero?

The spec says that this is the Device Physical Address, so that
it is the device internal address, it should be zero as we do not
reserve any thing in device internal and we do not have no memory
interleave.
spec says (ACPI 6.1: 5.2.25.3 NVDIMM Region Mapping Structure):
"NVDIMM Physical Address Region Base":
  "The base physical address within the NVDIMM of the NVDIMM region."

and nothing more than that so it's hard to come to conclusion that
it's internal address nor it is offset as you treat it here
(structure has 'Region Offset' for that).

I think it is clear as the spec says "_within_ the NVDIMM", it is
even more clear than ACPI 6.0 (5.2.25.2 Memory Device to System Physical
Address Range Mapping Structure), in that, it says:
 "In bytes. This field provides the Device Physical Address
  base of the region."

In the namespace spec (http://pmem.io/documents/NVDIMM_Namespace_Spec.pdf),
the explanation to DPA in page 9:
   "DIMM Physical Address: A memory address from a DIMM’s perspective,
   that is, the offset into the DIMM’s memory, starting
with DPA zero
   as the lowest addressable byte of the DIMM.